- One year of technical direction or related experience.
- Experience with computer aided drafting programs (preferably Vector Works).
- Experience or understanding with theatrical rigging systems.
- Experience with managing and maintaining budgets.
- Three years of technical direction or related experience.
- Teaching experience at the university/college level.
- Experience and expertise within the area of welding.
- Technical experience with professional theatre and/or dance companies.
- Ability to serve as a designer within the production season when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign and review work; orient and train staff and students; make recommendations as to interviewing and selection, performance appraisal, and discipline; maintain salary budgets.
- Plan, prepare, and maintain scenic and prop budgets for all productions.
- Teach, supervise, and mentor all students from the T220 stagecraft class and other classes as assigned.
- Attend production meetings and dress rehearsals with designers and advise, consult, and mentor (as needed) on changes of scenery and related scenic elements and assure those changes are made.
- Research, draft, construct, teach, and supervise the construction or alteration of all scenery, scenic elements and props.
- Maintain and supervise the effective maintenance of all theatre facilities and related equipment; this includes not only productions and special events held in theatrical venues, but also the organization of furniture, props, and (when applicable) risers in each classroom related to the department's pedagogical needs.
- Direct the finding, purchasing, and performing of any modifications (particularly welding) all materials needed to build scenery and props.
- Oversee any rental agreements related to scenery, props, and venue to outside individuals or organizations.
- Order and maintain all shop equipment, supplies, scenic and property storage areas, and inventory.
- Create scenic construction calendar (in conjunction with production stage manager) for all productions.
- Advise and assist student, faculty, and guest designers when necessary.
- Consult with Department Chair in any evaluation of staff members affiliated with the scene shop.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.